Search This Blog

Sunday 31 May 2020

Happy Birthday to me!


Well, I didn’t get to go out for the birthday lunch I wanted, but I had lots of nice presents and four unexpected treats today! We decided to break lockdown 24 hours early and my lovely foursome arrived!! I was ecstatic. We sat in the garden, socially-distanced, drinking tea and eating cake. 

For lunch, after they'd gone, the two of us had dainty sandwiches (I even cut the crusts off) and scones with jam and clotted cream. A glass of Prosecco may also have been involved…

Mr S-V bravely offered to bake me a cake (for the first time in his life!) but then had a flash of inspiration and ordered an afternoon tea hamper from M&S instead. It was great – I’d recommend it.

It’s been a lovely day.

Tomorrow the lockdown officially eases and people can start to slowly take steps forward to some sort of normality, although politicians are still giving the doom and gloom narrative. It’s starting to look like this is the beginning of the end – we can’t stay locked up forever “just in case”. New cases and deaths are on a steady downward trend now and other countries have relaxed their lockdowns with no spike in deaths. Everything in life carries risk – you can’t eliminate it all.

Counsellors and therapists in this country are going to have their work cut out for them to deal with all the mental health issues that this has thrown up; when they can finally get back to work, they’ll be working 24/7, poor devils, just to keep people from jumping off tall buildings. I feel so sorry for anyone who was already suffering anxiety or depression before all this started – this won’t have made their lives any easier.

I really think it's time the Govt stopped the daily “Coronavirus Briefings” aka the litany of gloom they serve up in the guise of ‘keeping us informed’. It’s not information, it’s just a way to reiterate that they’re the ones in control.

Politicians for the first time in living memory have the entire country in fear and under control… unsurprisingly they’d like to hold onto that control.

Well, who’da thunk it...?

No comments:

Post a Comment