Search This Blog

Monday 18 October 2021

Tennis (again) and Christmas

Blimey, there must be something in the water the British tennis players are drinking - we were waiting for someone to come along and pick up where Andy Murray left off and it looks like we've found him. Step forward, Cam Norrie!

Cam did something last night that no other British man has done by winning the Indian Wells 1000... well done, that man!

Sadly, I didn't see the match - the time difference between California and the UK put paid to that; at my age I need my beauty sleep (not that it's helping much!)

Predictably, I've seen people online saying "He isn't a Brit" and "I find it hard to accept he's British"...! Why not enjoy a British sporting achievement and stop being so miserable, mean-spirited and wrong? His parents are British but he was born while they were living and working in South Africa - how much more British would they like him to be, for god's sake?!

I've started putting a few bits and pieces by for Christmas; had a lovely delivery from The Bay Tree last week - I could easily become addicted to their Marinated Figs, but I only buy one jar a year and eat them sparingly in the run-up to the big day. Now, that's what I call being strong-willed!

The family will be here for Christmas Eve, as they usually are (I will never forgive Boris for last year, curse him), Nut Roast Wellington with all the trimmings has been requested, so that's what we'll be having. I can't wait, last year was absolute torture.

Covid's still with us - well, it is with some people, not with me. If it wasn't for the unrelenting scare stories dreamt up by the media I wouldn't be taking any notice of it. It's become a bit of a non-event. Unsurprisingly, though, I've just seen a piece saying the situation is "concerning" and the "NHS will come under pressure this winter". Quelle surprise!

OK... When has there been a winter where the NHS hasn't been under pressure? When has there been a winter where the NHS has been able to cope? Why hasn't the NHS ever got any better at coping despite the vast sums of money thrown at it? All excellent questions, none of which will ever be addressed by the Govt... and that, ladies and gentlemen, is where the problem lies.

I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment