Search This Blog

Monday 7 June 2021

Our 'wonderful' NHS

Unfortunately, I had experience today of our 'wonderful' NHS. 

I was on the phone for 21 minutes before someone deigned to answer. Thankfully I'm not desperately ill, I was ringing to ask about the possibility of booking an appointment where I could actually see a GP for a couple of ongoing problems.

"Hi, when do you estimate I'll be able to book an appointment to actually see a GP?"

"Well, they're only seeing patients by invitation. You have to speak to them by phone and they'll decide if they want to see you."

"But what if I want to see them?"

"Well, I can only book a face-to-face for some conditions. What's wrong with you?"

So I explained my medical conditions to someone who isn't a doctor, a nurse or even a pharmacist - someone who actually has no medical training whatsoever, in fact... at which point she replied "Let me see if that's on my list.... No, you'll have to have a telephone appointment for that".

She had all the empathy and sensitivity of a slap in the face. How anyone thought she was a suitable candidate for the job is beyond me. 

As Mr S-V pointed out, these are our NHS 'superheroes'. Just as well I wasn't bleeding to death... 

We've both had dental appts in the past year and Mr S-V has an appt with a consultant later this month. No problem at all. The only difference is... the dentist and consultant are seen privately - if they don't work, they don't get paid, whereas NHS GPs can make an occasional telephone call then sit around drinking coffee all day on full pay if they so choose. With no proper access to a GP is it any wonder people are turning up at A&E?

So, let me get this straight, I can see a dentist, a medical consultant, an optician, a hairdresser, a beautician... I can even get my ears pierced if I want to, but I can only see an NHS GP if invited to do so? Looks like GPs are delicate little flowers, fragile souls who need to be kept away from the very people they're paid to serve. 

Fine, well I'm glad we've cleared that up. I know where I stand... and it obviously won't be in my GP's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment