Search This Blog

Saturday 15 May 2021

Cookies and more Covid

Oh god... here we go again. Boris has been on the telly, yet again, giving another bloody briefing - god knows why, he hasn't said anything particularly useful since all this started 15 months ago. Cue serious faces, serious voices and veiled threats of what might happen. It appears he's trying to talk up the "Indian variant", mostly because he's desperate not to lower the level of restrictions next month and thereby lose his current grip on our lives. 

When this variant has run its course, we'll have the "Afghanistan variant" or maybe the "Caribbean variant" or even the "Cornwall variant" etc. etc... it's never-ending. At this rate we'll still be in some sort of lockdown when I've fallen off my perch and turned to dust. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

I think it must be clear to anyone, even the most adoring sheeple, that he never had any intention of opening up the country on June 21st - he's now showing that to be the case.

As well as being sick of all the Covid nonsense, I'm still sick to death of cooking - I don't mind fiddling about and making something frivolous but it's the main meals that are really getting me down; I think I'm just bored. It's been so long since we went out for lunch I won't know what to do when I'm confronted with a menu... there'll be actual choices of dishes I haven't had to make myself! I've almost forgotten what that's like!

Cauliflower and broccoli cheese with glazed carrots and green beans for dinner today - it doesn't require any thought, I can do it almost with my eyes closed. I could try that... it might make cooking a bit less boring!

Despite my ongoing apathy in the kitchen I had a bit of fun and made Nigella's Chocolate Mint Cookies yesterday. My advice is... do not make these, they are dangerously addictive! 

I made the glaze without adding peppermint - Mr S-V isn't keen on minty flavours - but, apart from that, I followed the recipe exactly. They came out perfectly. It occurred to me about a minute after I'd finished drizzling the glaze over them (typical - too late!) that I could have used orange extract instead of peppermint. An idea for next time and there will definitely be a next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment