Search This Blog

Sunday 5 September 2021

Jabs and jam

Summer's back! Well, for a little while, at least. After nearly a fortnight of grey days with a cold northerly wind, we have an almost balmy few days to look forward to. Actually sat in the garden for a while earlier on. Hilarious, then, that John Lewis and Marks and Sparks have updated their websites to include Christmas items! Seems a little early to me...

I wonder if we'll be 'allowed' to have a normal Christmas this year? After l2020, when Boris pulled the plug at the eleventh hour, I wouldn't put anything past him.

I was thrilled to see the JCVI has said it doesn't recommend giving 12-15 year-olds the jab, but my relief was very short-lived when I discovered the final say has been handed over to chief doom-monger Whitty and his mates, who are almost certain to approve it. I desperately hope they don't, but I fear they will. I'm disgusted that it's even being considered for children...  actually I'm disgusted that it's been considered for anybody, but that's another story. 

It also appears that 'vaccine passports' will now be needed for large venues. I will, quite clearly, not be having a vaccine passport for obvious reasons. I'd be willing to bet that 'large' venues will soon become 'medium' venues and, shortly afterwards, 'all' venues. Give it time... I know the way their twisted minds work.

When the hell does this insanity end?

I spent a few hours in the tranquillity of the kitchen last week making jam. I say tranquil but I find jam-making really nerve-wracking - I'm always certain it'll never set and somehow it always does! We picked Victoria plums from the garden and I'd bought some greengages from M&S. After adding these two to the strawberry jam I made in July, the preserves cupboard is looking very healthy.

Next week... curried fruit chutney, made with the last of the plums, a stray cooking apple, a few woolly apricots (why can we never get decent apricots in the UK?) and our own onions from the garden. Might make some onion marmalade as well, if my dodgy ankles will keep me upright. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment