Search This Blog

Monday 19 July 2021

Today's the Day

This is the day trumpeted as us getting our freedom back but, like anything in which the Govt is involved, it hasn't quite worked out like that. To call it a shambles would be too kind.

Boris has removed most of the legal restrictions but this means individual businesses are making up their own rules as they go along. 

Firstly, most of the supermarkets and some other shops have said they'll 'encourage' shoppers to wear masks; secondly, some pubs and restaurants are demanding people prove their vaccination status and thirdly, all public transport in London require people to be masked. Finally, anyone hoping to go on holiday to France will still have to isolate for 10 days on their return, even if they've been double jabbed. Does that sound like Freedom to you? No... me neither.

I wonder how long the Govt can drag this out. At the beginning it may have been about the virus, but that hasn't been the case for over a year - it's now just an experiment in social control. It's a bit like watching the emergence of a new religion which, like all religions, requires compliance and the total abandonment of all critical thinking. I've never had anything to do with religion of any description so, understandably, I'm finding this one pretty hard to swallow.

I love the irony in Sajid Javid, Health Secretary, testing positive for Covid... after having been double jabbed! That vaccine's not much good, is it? You'd need to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Having been in meetings with Javid, Boris and the Chancellor were trying to weasel out of self-isolating by taking part in a so-called  'pilot scheme' to avoid it. They then did a u-turn fast enough to make their heads spin, when there was a public outcry about them not keeping to their own rules. After what they've put us through for the last 16 months their insensitivity is breath-taking, how they thought they'd get away with it is beyond me.

Given the complete fiasco over masks, I went to M&S today fully equipped with my usual scarf (I'm still refusing to wear an actual mask!) not because I wanted to wear it, but because I didn't want some mask-happy jerk thinking it's their duty to 'educate' me in the error of my ways. Never argue with the stupid. Unsurprisingly, virtually everyone was still masked - they call this "Freedom"? Yeah, right... sigh.

The past weekend has been unbearably hot, but it's a little more acceptable today, thankfully. I start to wilt when the temperature goes above the low 20s. We had breakfast in the garden this morning - it was still 23C but that felt blissful after yesterday's 31! Salads and lots of cold drinks are the order of the day... roll on, winter!

Incidentally, my money's on another winter lockdown... to "Protect the NHS". Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment