Search This Blog

Friday 16 April 2021

Shopping? No thanks

We both had dental appointments on Monday; the surgery is in the centre of town - it was the first day that non-essential shops had been open since before Christmas and everyone was released into the wild. I knew it'd be busy but I didn't expect to have to queue to get in the car-park! Blimey, you'd have thought they were giving stuff away!

We walked past the entrance to the shopping centre and went straight home after seeing our lovely dentist; as we drove away it occurred to me I may never go shopping again in the way I used to. Funny thing is, I no longer want to... and thinking more widely about going out, to a restaurant maybe, I no longer want to do that either.

I'm not frightened of Covid, it's just that over the past year or so every facet of life has changed... and so have I. I've dug my heels in - with each new rule dreamt up by Govt my resolve has hardened - I will not be pushed around. 

Masks, test and trace apps, potential vaccine passports, temperatures being taken before admittance to a restaurant, social distancing, etc. have sucked every scrap of joy from going out. The only way round that is to stay home unless absolutely necessary - so that's where I am and that's where I'll stay. My once weekly jaunt to M&S Food will continue to be my only shopping outlet.

Will we one day go out for a spot of lunch? Well, it's looking less and less likely unless all the stupid rules and restrictions are abandoned and, of course, I will never have a vaccine passport. It's a modern-day version of apartheid and segregation... how can that possibly be acceptable in this day and age? Hospitality venues will find they need me more than I need them; I can only hope there's an outbreak of sanity at some point and we can once again live normally.

Meanwhile, I can get pretty much everything I need online and, bonus, I don't even have to get dressed to "go" shopping, nor do I have to pay car park charges!

No comments:

Post a Comment