Search This Blog

Sunday 17 January 2021

First sign of Spring

OK, it's only a very little sign, but we have about 6 or 7 snowdrops showing their faces at the base of a tree in the front garden! So tiny, but they're a taste of better things to come once we've emerged from this awful winter. We were promised snow yesterday, they'd have looked cute with a collar of snow around them, but all we got was horizontal hail and rain... typical.

Covid rumbles on, as does the Govt propaganda machine. Boris, assorted MPs and the Chuckle brothers keep appearing on TV, telling us what we can't do. I'm not interested until they appear and tell me that I can have my life back. That won't be any time soon, I fear... they're all still enjoying this far too much for my liking.

Public opinion falls into two very entrenched positions regarding Covid...

On the one side there are those who are hailing the vaccine rollout and who think that, until everyone's been vaccinated, any measures are justified no matter how damaging and draconian. They're willing to comply with almost anything because they've been so frightened by Govt diktat. 

On the other side are those who think it has all gone much too far... that keeping people under lockdown, depriving them of their civil liberties, while allowing their livelihoods, education, healthcare and the entire country's economy to be wrecked, is intolerable.

Neither side is actually wrong - it mostly comes down to whom you've chosen to believe - but it's divisive and increasingly turning nasty with one side against the other. I can understand why others feel as they do, but I stand very firmly in the second camp... I think the long-term damage being done to so many areas of our lives is catastrophic and totally unwarranted. It's out of all proportion to the issue at hand. My position means that, for some, I'm a "Coronavirus Crank" or a "Covidiot". I'm not... I just have a different view to the people who think theirs is the only opinion that matters. 

Meanwhile the Govt keeps ramping up the fear narrative to keep people compliant... well, some of them, at least.

Went for a wander round the lotties and the farmer's field this morning. The field was soggy and really treacherous underfoot after yesterday's rain and hail - a far cry from the days when we were watching the potatoes and oats growing over there. Those days will return within months, but I think our freedoms will take a lot longer to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment