Search This Blog

Saturday 4 July 2020

Pub's open... cheers!


July 4th – Happy American Independence Day, if that’s your thing.

It’s also the day when we’re ‘allowed’ to get our hair cut and go to a pub or restaurant, as long as you’re prepared to jump through hoops and stand on one leg while wearing mis-matched socks… OK, I might have made up the bit about legs and socks but, quite honestly, I wouldn’t put it past them to come up with it.

I’m getting my hair cut on Monday - whoopee! - but, having said repeatedly that I will NOT wear a bloody stupid mask, I at first refused my lovely hairdresser when she offered an appointment but said I’d have to bring a mask. When I said “Thanks, but no thanks” and explained why, bless her heart, she said she’d come to my house instead… where I can do whatever the hell I like and no mask required. Up yours, Boris.

I’ll still be angry, old and grey haired but at least I won’t scare the horses. Oh, happy day.

Going to a restaurant will take a bit longer because I refuse to join in the pantomime of having my temperature taken at the door, using hand sanitiser at the table and social-distancing while I eat my meal served by a faceless waiter/ess. Where’s the enjoyment in that? Going to a restaurant isn’t only about the food.

I’m sure some restaurants will go to the wall, thanks to Boris, and I’m desperately sorry for the people who’ll lose their livelihoods but, until it all returns to what I consider normal, I’m out. I’m sick of cooking and I’d really love to have lunch out somewhere (anywhere would do!) but for now… no thanks.

In an effort to get myself out of the “I hate cooking” rut, I thought I’d have a go at this this little beauty. Nigella suggests serving it with custard, which is fine by me. Actually, anything that can be served with custard is fine by me, Might post a pic if it turns out ok.

Anyone who doesn’t like custard is not to be trusted. Remember that – it’ll stand you in good stead.

No comments:

Post a Comment