Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 June 2020

What a life...


There is something deeply wrong at the heart of our Govt – they’re not MPs any more, they think they're our controllers. They’ll start putting Soma in the drinking water soon (a la Brave New World by Aldous Huxley).

According to Boris’s latest edict, I’m going to be allowed from July 4th (Allowed? Allowed…!? How much more offensive can you get, Boris?) to have my family inside my house, but no hugging! They can even stay overnight as long as we stay socially-distanced!!! Jesus bloody Christ!

Well, as far as I’m concerned, they can go boil their heads – I will not be told what I can and can’t do in my own home. So, if I hug a relative, what’s going to happen? Will Big Brother shout at me through the laptop; will the police arrive, sirens blaring and brandishing handcuffs, because I had the temerity to get too close to my son; will the sky fall in? This is utterly insane.

Then we have the added cruelty of being told we can move a metre closer to our adult children and grandchildren but we’re still not allowed (there’s that bloody word again!) to hug them. What kind of twisted mind could come up with something like that?

I feel like I’m trapped in some awful sci-fi movie from which I can’t escape. Could somebody wake me up when this is all over, please?

I can’t believe it’s come to this; how on earth did it happen? When did British politicians become such hand-wringing bedwetters? Thank goodness the current bunch of MPs weren’t around during WW2 – we’d all be speaking German by now.

I saw a picture on Twitter today of Andy Murray ‘taking a knee’ before a match. I’ve loved tennis all my life and I've followed Andy's career since he was a scrawny teenager – I’ve cried for him when he lost and cried with joy when he won; one of the best days of my sport-watching life was when he won Wimbledon. I’m so disappointed in him and spitting with anger. Yeah, I know, not important in the scheme of things and like a lot of other crap that’s happened recently…I’ll get over it.

I once wondered whether it was possible to die of boredom; I’m now wondering if it’s possible to die of anger. If it is, I’m in grave danger of falling off my perch. Imminently.

On to more mundane matters… I made some jam today. Gorgeous as they are, we finally admitted defeat in trying to eat all the strawberries our little patch has been producing – so I made a couple of jars of jam. Now all I have to do is make some scones and procure some clotted cream. Sounds like a plan.

Huge excitement today… I have an appointment to get my hair cut!! My lovely hairdresser offered me a slot on her first day back at work. I’m so grateful to her.

There are still some lovely people about… few and far between, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment