Search This Blog

Sunday 3 May 2020

Just an opinion (or six...)


I’m not a criminal… but I’m under house arrest.

I don’t have a contagious disease… but I’m quarantined.

I’m not a danger to anyone… but I’m not allowed to see my family.

Explain this to me if you can, because I’m damned if I can see the sense in it.

The Government has far exceeded its remit; it’s taken away many of the best parts of our life and left us with something that a growing proportion of people are increasingly finding unacceptable. They want to see their friends and family; they want to go to the pub, to the gym or out for dinner. Nothing earth-shattering, just everyday stuff. 

On a personal level, if I can’t hug my son and my grandchildren, then it’s no bloody life at all. I’m an adult, I’m big enough and ugly enough to decide for myself how much risk I’m prepared to take, thank you. Advise me, give me truthful information… then leave me alone to make my own decisions.

We were rushed into lockdown by a frightened Government – they had no exit plan and, now that people are starting to question the wisdom of this, they are clearly in panic mode about what to do next. “We’ll look at the science and tell you next week” doesn’t exactly inspire me with confidence, I’m sorry to say, because single-issue scientists have a very narrow view of the world – they don’t see the bigger picture. 

In the meantime, the economy is still dying on its feet and people are suffering… the Government would do well to remember that Covid-19 isn’t the only problem that needs dealing with right now. As a country we’ll struggle to get back from the mess we’ve been plunged into – Covid may well turn out to be the least of our problems. This will not be a quick or easy recovery.

However, looking on the bright side (joke!) a series of temporary Nightingale hospitals have sprung up around the country, all set up at great expense and raring to go. Only one problem… not needed, no patients in them! You really could not make it up.

Oh, and while I’m about it, I’m sick of having the NHS shoved down my throat at every possible opportunity. It is not my responsibility to protect the NHS – it’s actually their responsibility to protect me! Nor is everyone on the ‘frontline’ a ‘hero’… they’re just people doing their job. That’s what they're supposed to do and that's what we all pay for.

Being under lockdown is doing me no good at all – I’ve too much time to sit and cogitate about politicians who should be running the country, rather than running it into the ground.

I like Boris, I think he's a good bloke, but he needs to be brave and not allow his own experience of Covid to colour his judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment