Search This Blog

Thursday 9 February 2012

Carrot and Sesame Burgers

The weather here is still perishing cold; snow, frost and ice are becoming a pain in the neck and I am sooo fed up with it!

We seem to have been living on cold weather food recently (soup, chilli sans carne, curry, etc.) but I fancied a little something for a change, so when I saw this GoodFood recipe it perked me up no end and sent me scurrying off to the kitchen to give it a go.


It’s a really easy recipe and very tasty. I used ciabatta rolls for serving, I don’t like commercially made burger buns and I couldn’t be bothered to make my own, they worked surprisingly well. If you want something to serve with your burgers I'd suggest some spicy potato wedges and mayonnaise, which is what Mr Simply Veg had with his. If we ever get a summer I think this mix could be used rather like falafel; rolled into little balls and baked instead of fried, served in soft flour tortillas with salad. It has to be worth a try.

I’ll just mention a couple of points…

The recipe says ‘serves 6’…well, I made eight enormous burgers with this and if I’d made them a more normal size I could probably have made ten! I packed the others up and put them in the freezer.

I added a couple of tablespoons of chopped coriander just because I happened to have some.

Next time I'd up the quantity of cumin in the recipe; it got a bit lost in the mix.

Take care when you're cooking the burgers; they have to be really well chilled and even then it’s a bit of a struggle to keep them together! If I was making them in the summer I wouldn’t attempt to cook them on a barbecue unless I used a griddle, but you may be braver than me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment