Search This Blog

Sunday 1 May 2011

Maple Pecan Flapjacks

I know some people make cake every week, for them there's always cake in the tin for visitors; I make cake about 3 or 4 times a year! It’s not that I don’t like it, the problem is I do like it and my weight is quite enough of an issue as it is! I also like the actual ‘making’ of cake; all the measuring and mixing, plus the wonderful smells emanating from the kitchen, is very satisfying.

Mooching about on the net the other day I saw a recipe for Cranberry and White Chocolate flapjacks, which set me thinking about baking. Needless to say I had no white chocolate or cranberries in the pantry so I improvised with what I had to hand; the result was a moist chewy confection that's incredibly moreish.

I won’t try to pretend that these are even remotely 'healthy' or 'good for you' despite their rustic wholesome appearance; yes, I know there are all those oats and nuts, but there is also all that butter and sugar! But who wants 'low-fat' where cake is concerned?! Everyone deserves a treat once in a while; a little of what you fancy does you good in my opinion and anyway, I have a cunning way of getting round the issue of having such tempting morsels in the house – I take them round to my son and daughter-in-law….simples!


200g unsalted butter
150g golden granulated sugar
80g golden syrup
40ml maple syrup**
150g pecan nuts, chopped
350g rolled oats


Melt the butter, sugar and both syrups gently together in a very large saucepan, stirring over a low heat just until the sugar melts. Do NOT allow the mixture to boil or you’ll have a panful of toffee! Take off the heat and stir in the oats and chopped nuts. Mix really well until all the oats are completely amalgamated with the delicious gooey, buttery mixture.

Press the flapjack mix into a 20cm x 30cm x 2cm tin lined with baking parchment and bake at 180C for 25 mins. Mark into squares whilst still warm but don’t remove from the tin until they’re completely cold. Store in an airtight tin.

Makes 15-20 squares.

**Please use pure Maple Syrup for this recipe - I know it's expensive, but you really need the intense flavour. The much cheaper 'Maple flavoured' stuff is ghastly and just won't do.

1 comment: