Search This Blog

Sunday 17 April 2011

Bun and Butter Pudding

It's Easter next weekend; doesn't time fly? I like Easter, it's a nice four-day break just at the right time of year as the weather is starting to get a bit better, but I've always thought it doesn't have a lot going for it foodwise, apart from chocolate eggs and hot cross buns. I know it's important to many people on a Biblical level but to be honest I think Easter is the poor relation to Christmas on the food front. I think we need some more Easter foodie traditions so here's a pudding to start us all off.

I love Hot cross buns and quite happily eat them all year round; I rarely have any left over (because I eat them all!) but there were a couple in the pantry yesterday that were looking a bit sorry for themselves. I almost put them in the compost bin but then Bun and Butter Pudding came to mind...you know, like bread and butter pud without the bread. Hot cross buns plus custard...what's not to like?

2 hot cross buns
butter
marmalade
2 eggs
450ml milk
1 dsp caster sugar + extra for sprinkling


Slice open the buns, butter the bottom half and spread with marmalade; replace the top half and cut the buns into quarters. Place in an ovenproof dish with the pointy corners upwards. Beat the eggs with the milk and a dessertspoon of sugar, then strain over the buns. I know it looks a bit uninspiring at this point, but be patient…let it sit for half an hour so the buns can soak up the custard mixture, then sprinkle with sugar and bake at 180C for 30 minutes until puffy and golden.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 2 very generously or 4 normal (!) people

No comments:

Post a Comment