Search This Blog

Sunday 4 October 2020

Tests, Trump and treats

I went to my GPs' surgery on Friday for a blood test, which I should have had four months ago... but, thanks to Covid, it's been easier to get into the Queen's bedroom than to see a healthcare professional in person. They've been holed up behind locked doors for six months - quite possibly hiding behind their desks, for all I know. 

Getting into the building was quite a saga. Ring the doorbell then wait in the pouring rain for someone to unlock the door; don a mask (or in my case, a scarf - I don't do masks!) and have my temperature taken before being allowed to stand inside the door; confirm answers to the questionnaire that was taken when I booked the appointment; administer hand sanitiser... and finally... I gained admittance to the inner sanctum. Hoo-bloody-ray!

We were told to "Protect the NHS" way back in March - is this what we were protecting?

Blood test was completely uneventful (although, thanks to a heavy-handed phlebotomist, I have a massive deep purple bruise to show for it!) and a bit of an anti-climax to the pantomime that preceded it. Incidentally, the surgery itself was like the Mary Celeste - well, they don't want sick people coming in and cluttering up the place, do they?! 

Speaking of sick people, Donald and Melania Trump have both tested positive for Covid. Donald's in hospital but it hasn't stopped people being absolutely vile about him - shame they can't see that even the President of the United States is more than his politics... he has a family that loves him and wants him back. The last thing a world in chaos needs right now is the death of one of the most important people in this world. Get well soon, Mr President.

Mushrooms

It's been raining almost continuously since Friday - that's enough now, thank you! The lotties are looking very sorry for themselves and there's no hope of the farmer ploughing just yet, the fields are sodden. With all the wet weather we've grown some pretty impressive clumps of mushrooms on the grass in the front garden. I've no idea whether they're edible and I'm not about to risk life and limb to find out! Not a great picture but it was taken from the porch because of the damn rain...

I'm pleased to report that our treats from Bettys have been a delight. The Fat Rascals are bloody lovely, as is the Lemon and Lime loaf - they remind me of my childhood, when cakes were plainer but tastier, somehow. Stem Ginger cake will be sampled tomorrow. I was a bit worried about buying cake online - would I just receive a box of crumbs?! - but the packaging was excellent as is the taste and quality. 

I wonder what they'll have in the way of Christmas goodies? Asking for a friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment