Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 March 2020

I'm back...


Hi. It’s me.

I mothballed this blog five years ago…. times changed, I got older and I’d fallen out of love with cooking. I left it up as my own personal recipe book, it still gets a few daily views – I had no thought in my head of ever resurrecting it – I’d moved on…. then COVID-19 whipped the rug from under us just as I went down with an unrelated illness.

So here we are in lockdown – day 1 seemed OKish, bit odd but not bad, but it’s day 2 and I’m climbing the bloody curtains! Health issues and age have tipped me and Mr Simply into the “older, vulnerable” category, apparently. Me…old and vulnerable? Whaddya mean… who the bloody hell d’you think you’re talking to??!

Nothing seems normal and all the structures and patterns in our lives have shifted.

I don’t do Facebook, I’ve tried forums and messageboards (but they’re full of the type of people I’d cross the road to avoid!) and, although it’s OK for a short rant at politicians or the BBC, 240 characters on Twitter doesn’t allow for lengthy discourse. So, I thought I’d use this as a space to ramble, vent and quite possibly have a bloody good moan when I want one.

You can read it if you like – it won’t be profound, I’m not that type of person, and I may take it down when the current crisis is over but, for now, it’s an outlet and it gives me something to do. I might even mention food occasionally if the mood takes me.

We sat in the garden and had a cup of tea yesterday; given that I wasn’t going out, I realised I looked like someone else had got me dressed in the dark. It didn’t help that I was accessorised by pom-pom slippers and a floral sunhat. Stylish or what? The sun was out, not particularly warm but it made a change from being in the house and wondering whether I should have bought more milk.

Is this what prison feels like?

No comments:

Post a Comment