Search This Blog

Saturday 20 September 2014

'School Dinner' Jam and Coconut Sponge

Mr Simply Veg and I were talking about school dinners the other day; I don’t know how we got on to the subject – I can only say when you get to our age you start to ramble a bit.

I loved school dinners mainly because they were so much nicer than the meals I had at home. Sadly I can honestly state, without any fear of contradiction, that my mother never managed to serve up an edible meal in her life; you know the sort of thing…if the veg are still recognisable they haven’t been boiled for long enough. Gravy…? One lump or two?

Anyway, Mr S-V said his school dinners weren’t particularly memorable but then he went all dewy eyed about a jam and coconut sponge he used to have for pudding. I was tasked with recreating this culinary masterpiece and by all accounts I did a pretty good job. *polishes halo*

Himself is a very happy chappie and I am now officially a domestic goddess. As I’ve said before…he’s easily pleased.

170g unsalted butter
170g caster sugar
3 eggs
170g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

3 tbsp strawberry jam
50g desiccated coconut

Line a 16cm x 24cm baking tin with baking parchment. Turn the oven on to 180C.

Cream the butter and sugar together with a hand-held mixer until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in the flour and the vanilla extract. Scoop into the lined tin, level the top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

When cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.

When the cake is completely cool spread with the jam, going right up to the edges, then sprinkle over the desiccated coconut.

Cut into squares and serve with custard. Lots of custard. Also good served as cake with a decent cuppa.

5 comments:

  1. We've got so 'sophisticated' these days it's easy to forget the delicious stuff that we used to eat. I enjoyed school meals but that was pre vegetarian times. When my son went to school the vegetarian option only ever seemed to be a cheese sandwich or an egg salad so he had packed lunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the simplest things are the best! I was still an omnivore when I was at school - I think I'd have struggled as a veggie in the 1960s, although it seems much better now, thankfully. Regards, Denise

      Delete
  2. I remember eating it but cannot remember where! I have only found your blog tonight and have spent last couple of hours reading your delicious recipes and ideas. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - I'm glad you like the blog. Good luck with the debt reduction - if anyone had told me when I was first married how expensive everything would become, I'd have thought they were crazy! Regards, Denise

      Delete
  3. Oh yum one of my favourite cakes! Sadly our school dinner puddings were nowhere near as nice but on the upside my mum is a good baker!

    ReplyDelete