Search This Blog

Thursday 12 July 2012

No-Knead Loaf

On a food forum where I post there has been a thread running recently about the pros and cons of fresh yeast versus dried yeast. Sakkarin, who actually runs the forum, posted about a ‘no-knead’ loaf he’d made, using dried yeast; the loaf looked gorgeous and was described as 'pretty close' to being ciabatta.

I love bread but I’m useless at making it, which is why I use a bread machine, so my eyes lit up at the thought of no kneading. Could this be the breakthrough whereby I make a loaf of bread by hand which doesn’t require the consumer to undergo extensive dental work afterwards? Surely even I could manage this? The answer to both questions is a resounding “Yes”!

I followed Sakkarin’s instructions to the letter and, to my amazement, I produced an astonishingly good-looking loaf with a thinnish crust and a lovely, slightly holey, soft-textured crumb; it was a delight.

It was pronounced a “triumph” by Mr Simply Veg who had three slices for lunch today with Brie and red onion marmalade – I didn’t bother with any pronouncements; I was too busy chomping on a slice of warm bread and butter!

Thanks Sakkarin – I’m chuffed to little mint balls!


500g strong white bread flour
7.5g dried yeast
7.5g salt
40ml olive oil
380ml water

Mix the dry ingredients together then add the olive oil and water and mix together to form a moist mass.

Cover with cling film and leave for 10 to 12 hours by which time the dough will have risen dramatically.

Tease the dough carefully out onto a silicone sheet dusted with flour – it will be very sticky.








With as little handling of the dough as possible, shape it a bit into the traditional ciabatta slipper shape; dust the top with flour and cover with a clean dry teatowel. Leave on the worktop to prove for 2 hours. When your oven is up to temperature (225 degrees), put a few squirts of water into a baking tray in the bottom of the oven to create steam. Slide the silicone mat onto a heavy baking sheet (or a bakestone, if you have one – I don’t)

Bake at 225C for 25 mins until deep golden and gorgeous and cool on a wire rack.









I’ve paraphrased Sakkarin’s instructions, but if you’d like to see his post and pics click here. (fifth post down on page 2)

1 comment:

  1. That looks great and certainly on my list of recipes to try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete