Saturday, 16 July 2011

Moroccan Veggie Parcels with Aubergine Sauce


I made these little parcels last Sunday; we had three people round for lunch and I didn’t want to do a nut roast or similar – I was after a lighter, more summery type of thing. For some reason I broke my golden rule, the one I’ve stuck to all my life, and cooked something that I had never cooked before! I always have a dry-run of a new recipe before I unleash it onto guests but, in this instance, I can only assume I had a rush of blood to the head or possibly a severe attack of over-confidence….whatever it was, I must be mad!

In the event it all turned out rather well; I chose a Simon Rimmer recipe and served it with tomato, olive and almond couscous and a leafy salad.


Now, far be it from me to criticise Simon, but I think when I make it next time I’ll give it a few refinements:

  • Double the chilli flakes in the filling to give it a bit more zing
  • Halve the amount of sweet potato, it made far too much filling for only six parcels
  • Double the chopped apricots because they got a bit lost in amongst all the other flavours
  • I should point out that I used a tin of chopped tomatoes because I thought the sauce would be a bit dry with just three fresh toms to provide the ‘sauciness’ and I also chopped the aubergines into chunks rather than strips
None of this is meant to suggest that they weren't fine as they are, it's just that I always mess around with recipes when I've made them once, to bring them into line with our particular taste. Our guests are omnivores, but they were very complimentary and I don’t think (?!) they were just being polite. On the whole I’d say it was very successful and definitely one to do again. The aubergine sauce was brilliant; I think it would make a good filling for lasagne...must give it a try.

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment