Friday, 10 February 2012

Coconut Noodles with Vegetables

I cooked this for dinner one night last week; in all honesty I probably wouldn’t have chosen this particular recipe myself, but it wasn’t my choice. I’ll explain.

On one of the food boards where I post a member came up with such a good idea that I'm surprised nobody has thought of it before...Cook and Tell. A bit like Show and Tell for schoolchildren, but in this instance we all cook a dish then say what we did or didn’t like about it or what we might tweak if we cooked it again. This recipe was one of the two chosen dishes for February; it's by Anjum Anand on the BBC Food site. She calls it Vegetables and Rice Noodles in a Coconut Broth, but I think that's a bit too long-winded!


I suppose the best thing I can say about the dish is…it was OK. In appearance it was lovely; really light, fresh and green. However, its looks were let down by its flavour; I actually thought it was quite bland and featureless. It needed an extra something, I’m not quite sure what, to give it a bit more zing – it seemed to be missing a focal point if you know what I mean.

Another point I think I should also make is the low protein element of the finished dish. I’m not one of those veggies who religiously monitors their protein intake, in fact I rarely think about it, but I generally expect a main meal to supply a reasonable amount.

In summary: I’ll definitely cook it again, but I’ll probably add in some paneer or maybe some marinated tofu and I'll turn up the volume on the ginger and chilli a bit. I’ll most likely serve it with rice instead of rice noodles, too; I love rice whereas I can take or leave noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment